Pensthorpe Bird & Wildlife Fair
Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th May 2019
Pensthorpe Conservation Trust are hosting a Pensthorpe Bird & Wildlife Fair – showcasing why Norfolk is renowned as ‘the birdwatching capital of Britain’.
Sponsored by local nature businesses Cley Spy, in Glandford, and WILD Sounds & Books, in Salthouse, and Norfolk Cottages from Holt and Wells-next-the-Sea, the Pensthorpe Bird & Wildlife Fair will feature guest speakers, demonstrations, walks and talks, and book signings. The event is a celebration of nature-spotting in Norfolk and will bring together experts in the fields of optic equipment, wildlife-inspired art and crafts, books and wildlife and nature holidays.
April and May are the peak times for spring bird migration so the event provides a weekend for birders to visit and stay in Norfolk, right in the middle of the busy migratory period.
Bill Jordan, owner of Pensthorpe Natural Park comments: “Norfolk is, arguably, one of the greatest areas for birdwatching in the UK, and the north Norfolk coast the best in the country, so it seems fitting for an event celebrating birds and wildlife to be held within the county. Along with our partners Cley Spy, WILD Sounds & Books and Norfolk Cottages, we aim to celebrate what’s unique about the birding and nature offering in this special part of the world.”
We have pledged to donate a percentage of the proceeds to enhancing and protecting local wetland areas and selected Norfolk Wildlife Trust to receive the donation on account of its 50 nature reserves covering 4500 hectares across the county.
It is expected that funds raised from the event will be specifically used to develop wetland restoration and care in the Broads National Park, where NWT’s nature reserves include Upton Broad and Marshes, South Walsham, Ranworth Broad and Hickling Broad.
Nature and wildlife experts Simon King OBE and Mike Dilger have been confirmed for guest appearances at the event, courtesy of Zeiss and Swarovski, respectively. Simon and Mike will appear on both days and give insightful talks and guided walks*. Bill Oddie OBE will also be attending both days and giving a talk regarding his 70 years of birdwatching.
*All of of our walks and talks we have planned are included in the admission price however Simon King and Mike Dilger will each be hosting an exclusive ‘out of hours’ experience, as part of the weekend’s events. With spaces limited to just 25 people per event and all profits going directly to the Norfolk Wildlife Trust wetland restoration projects, these two exclusive events will be extremely popular, so we recommend booking your place now. Visit our Exclusive Events page for more information.
Where to stay
If you are visiting the area specifically for this event and you are looking for self catering accommodation options, Norfolk Cottages is the largest independent holiday cottage agency in Norfolk with a fantastic portfolio of self catering accommodation to suit all budgets, needs and tastes.
Important information regarding the event:
- Day tickets cost £8 per person – this covers admission into the Bird & Wildlife Fair and full access to Pensthorpe Natural Park.
- Under 3’s and Pensthorpe Annual Members are FREE
- Our indoor play area, Hootz House, will be CLOSED on this weekend. We will, however, be offering outdoor activities for young families and children. Details to follow shortly.
- Parking is FREE
- Unfortunately, unless they are assistance dogs, dogs cannot enter the main reserve. Find out more on our Before You Visit page
- The event will run from 10am – 6pm on the Saturday
- The event will run from 10am – 5pm on the Sunday
- We have a list of local accommodation providers if you are looking for a place to stay over the weekend
- BBC Gardeners’ World 2-for-1 gardens to visit cards will not be valid for this event, neither will any other ‘reduced entry’ or ‘money off’ admission vouchers