Accessibility at Pensthorpe
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors. This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Voted Norfolk’s Best Large Attraction for both 2014 and 2015, Pensthorpe Natural Park is an exciting family day out. Experience the beauty of the natural world on lakeside nature trails and woodland walks, explore four stunning gardens, enjoy delicious home-cooked food in the Courtyard Cafe and be sure to browse the unique gifts, homeware, plants, jewellery and some of Norfolk’s finest local produce in the Gift Shop!
For adventurous families, join ‘Hootz’ the owl and journey around his WILD world discovering mirror trails, stamp stations, a larger than life bug walk and enjoy adventure play, nature’s way with Hootz House indoor play and WildRootz outdoor adventure play.
Pensthorpe Natural Park is located 1 mile from Fakenham off the A1067.
Pensthorpe Natural Park is a predominantly outdoor attraction with a cafe, gift shop, exhibition and indoor play area.A small number of wheelchairs are available for loan free of charge and are on a first come, first serve basis.
No dogs, accept assistance dogs.
Staff are on hand should you require any assistance.We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance, please do not hesitate get in touch and we will be happy to help by either phoning us on 01328 851465 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For full location details please visit our website www.pensthorpe.com
• Sat Nav NR21 0LN
• The nearest bus stop is on the A1067 approx. 500m from entrance (5 min walk). Please use the X29 Norfolk Green bus to/from Norwich.
• The nearest railway stations are Norwich or Kings Lynn. Both are approx. 25 miles away.
Car Parking and Arrival
• We have a free car park with designated disabled parking spaces, approx. 100m to entrance. The carpark is loose gravel with tarmac/ paved pathways. Visitors with reduced mobility can be dropped at the path to the visitor centre opposite the car park or having come down the Delivery Access where the drive splits.
• We also have a Coach Parking area
• Overhead lighting on access pathways.
• All entrance/ exit doors are at least 1000mm/40ins wide.
Main Entrance, Reception and Ticketing Area
• The main entrance is situated on the ground floor with step free, level access.
• There are seats available in this area.
• Staff can be seen easily for lip-reading
• Online ticket booking available
• A pen and notepad are available at each counter. Wheelchair loan is available, free of charge but are on a first come, first serve basis.
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
• Interpretation boards have pictorial representation where applicable. Audio is used in Hootz House, indoor play to notify of end of play session. Audio equipment is used for our 4pm Bird Feed and on the Pensthorpe Explorer Tour.
• Background music in shop and Hootz House.
• All doors are at least 1000mm wide, lift entrances are 900mm.
• Seating is available throughout the park.
• The paths around the site are a mix of loose gravel, tarmac, grass and boardwalks. Flooring buildings are tiles, carpet or wooden flooring and impact flooring is used in Hootz House.
• Natural lighting, spotlights and tube lighting are used.
• There are 7 wheelchair accessible toilets. Two can be found near the public toilets by the coach drop off point, the third is situated within the cafe, the fourth in WildRootz, fifth and sixth in Hootz House and seventh within 5 cottages.
• These toilets each have a wash basin, 1100mm transfer space to the left of the toilet (800mm in Cafe). There is a vertical support rail, fixed horizontal support rail, moveable support rail, special toilet seat and emergency pull cord system.
• There are five sets of toilets, one by the entrance, consisting of ladies (6 cubicles and baby changing) and gents (2 cubicles and one urinal). A set in cafe, WildRootz, Hootz House, and 5 cottages, all with baby change facilities.
• Access to all WC’s is level with no steps, lift for first floor loos.
• several catering outlets at Pensthorpe. Cafe, Snack Shack, The Hatchery, Ice Cream bike and within Hootz House.
• All situated on the ground floor and have step free level access.
• Entrance doors are at least 1000mm wide.
• Tables in cafe and Hootz House are moveable and have legs on each corner.
• Menus are displayed in large font by the counter.
• Lighting in all areas is natural daylight with overhead lighting used.
• The flooring in the cafe is tiled.
• Where possible all of our food is locally sourced.
• We are able to cater for vegetarians, vegans, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and sugar free diets. For allergen information please speak to one of our catering team.
• Self-service, please ask if you require table service in the cafe.
• We have high chairs available in the cafe and Hootz House.
• Please ask if you require baby food heating.
• There is a shop with a range of gifts, bird and wildlife items, toys, food, plants and souvenirs etc. which can be accessed from the courtyard.
• Free entry.
• The shop is level throughout
• A low level desk and counter, although staff can get round counters as required.
• There is ample room within the shop for a large wheelchair to maneuver and turn.
• There are a variety of display racks.
• There is background music and a bird song identification cd playing in wildlife area.Staff can offer assistance if required.
Grounds and Gardens
• We have four gardens all with level pathways or a gradual incline.
• Entrance/ exit gates to gardens are all at least 900mm wide.
• There are several picnic areas on site with wooden picnic benches, some of these are wheelchair accessible
• There are a number of wooden benches around the site.
• Pathways are a mixture of tarmac, loose gravel, boardwalk and grass (these can be muddy at times). Pathways may be uneven underfoot.• Wheelchair friendly routes are marked on the map.
• All of our staff receive customer service training that includes disability awareness.
• We have a set evacuation procedure – should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation or to a refuge. We have evacuation chairs to assist.
• All information is available in large print. Signage is mainly in large print with pictorial references where appropriate. Writing is white on a dark background.
• We welcome trained assistance dogs, a water bowl is available on request.
• We offer a carer ticket policy, please ask for more information.
• We are planning a review of our website to make it more accessible, any comments are welcome.
• We are always trying to improve accessibility to the park please let us know any comments or improvements we could make.
Address (Inc postcode): Pensthorpe Natural Park Pensthorpe Fakenham Norfolk NR21 0LN
Telephone: 01328 851465
Hours Of Operation: 10am- 5pm
Local Accessible Taxi: Tiny’s Taxi 01328 888888
Local Public Transport: X29 Norfolk Green Bus