Viking InvasionBack to Events
18 Jul 2020 - 19 Jul 2020
Viking Invasion – a weekend of living history
The year is 865. The people in the peaceful Saxon village of Penesthorpa are shocked by the surprise viking invasion of men from the North who come for plunder. Reynold, son of Ivo, holder of the land, gathers his best men and calls them to take up their weapons to protect the village from the attackers. The Saxon men and Northmen clash by the water’s edge, the sound of metal on metal echoing around the entire settlement. Villagers hide and await their fate, hoping Reynold will be victorious. After much noise and shouting, comes a short silence, eerie, foreboding, until the cry goes up to say that the Northmen have withdrawn, Reynold is victorious!
A single man approaches from the retreated foreign army and asks to speak to the Jarl. Reynold steps forward, eyeing the Northman with suspicion. He introduces himself as Bjorn Ironside, son of Ragnar Lodbrok. He comes in search of wealth for him and his three brothers who travel with him. Bjorn offers permanent retreat from Reynold’s land in return for horses. Reynold agrees to these terms. He has secured peace for his people……..for now………
Come and immerse yourself in the battle between these two men and their armies and watch this story unfold before your very eyes. See the villagers going about their day to day life and see some of the fascinating crafts and trades being displayed. Talk to the warriors before they go into battle and see which side you think should be victorious!
Important information regarding the event:
- Book in advance online to save £1 per person
- Under 3’s and Pensthorpe Annual Members are FREE
- The event will run from 10am – 5pm
- Hootz House, our indoor play area is included in the standard admission price – please ensure you are wearing or bring socks. If you forget, you can buy socks of all sizes for £1 a pair in Hootz House.
- We recommend you book one of our timed sessions for Hootz House, these will be running from 10am – 4:30pm.
- Parking is FREE
- Unfortunately, unless they are assistance dogs, dogs cannot enter the main reserve. Find out more on our Before You Visit page
- BBC Gardeners’ World 2-for-1 gardens to visit cards are valid for this event. Please refer to the cards’ Terms and Conditions for more information.
- All our extra activities are subject to availability and weather conditions. Please check our activities board at the entrance to our courtyard.
Book online to save £1 per person