It’s Been a Hoot!Back to News
4 Jul 2019
Hootz House is four years old today!
Hootz House is four years old today, 4th July 2019, and to celebrate all the fun children and adults have had navigating the rope bridges, ladders, tunnels, nets and tree-top towers, we have put together some facts on our award-winning indoor eco play area…
- Designed to create the feel of the outside world Hootz the owl, from WildRootz, inspires children through adventure play
- It was built to inspire and engage the next generation of nature lovers and conservationists, teaching them to care for the environment
- Built from 90 per cent sustainably-sourced timber, the cladding of Hootz House is perforated with holes to create a habitat for bird and insect life
- Children can spend hours running across rope bridges, racing down winding slides, scurrying through tunnels and scaling eight-metre-high tree top towers
- Fun facts about enchanting species of the natural world can be discovered as children clamber, climb and play
- The Owlets soft play zone, created for the under 5’s, is inspired by Pensthorpe’s Conservation Grade Farm with soft play farm animals and a corn shower
- It cost £1million to build and the Pensthorpe team travelling extensively throughout the UK, Holland and Italy to gain inspiration
- Our Junior Board were the first to try it out in 2015 and they loved it!
- It is award-winning – winning a national award for the ‘best recreation and leisure project of the year’ by the Rural and Industrial Design and Building Association; the North Norfolk District Councils Graham Allen Award and scooped a regional LABC Building Excellence Award
- We encourage parents and grandparents to play alongside their children and there is a café located inside Hootz House
- It is also available for parties!
And the best thing is that our visitors love it! Here are some 2019 reviews from TripAdvisor…
“Just enjoyed a wonderful day out at Pensthorpe with a 3 and 6 year old. Everything about the day was fantastic – the easy walk around the lake feeding the beautiful birds, the food in the cafe, the fun indoor play centre (all beautiful wood and rope, not the normal plastic and foam) and the intriguing and innovative outdoor adventure playground. Both indoor and outdoor play areas definitely as much fun for the grown-ups as the kids!”
“Just wow! What a wonderful place. Anywhere that provides children with a wealth of adventures amongst nature and has provisions for poor weather too gets my vote! We had the best day here with two 5 year olds and a baby! The indoor soft play is the best we’ve seen and the outdoor play area is phenomenal. That’s not even mentioning all of the birds and walks you can do and see!”
“Great outdoor playground with the best equipment we’ve ever seen like the wood chimes. Exceptional indoor play. Lovely food, great nature walks “
“Great place to wonder and see all the ducks and wildfowl in their natural surroundings. Well maintained for all the birds. Great indoor and outside playgrounds for children to let off steam”
“Lovely place, not just for kids, but the adults too! Great play park suitable for a wide age range, beautifully designed areas and walks. Plenty of animals to see. Not only that but also very nice cake from the café”
Entry is included in the standard admission price. Please note that timed sessions operate in peak times and each session can accommodate up to 175 visitors.
Just don’t forget your socks (although they are available to purchase in case you do)!