Before You Visit
Here’s a few bits of information to help you before you visit and get organised for your day out. If you don’t find the information you are looking for here feel free to look at our FAQs page.
Before you visit
We recommend that you read this page carefully to understand everything you need to know before you visit, what to expect when you visit and how to book.
The safety and welfare of our visitors, staff and wildlife is our top priority, so we kindly ask that all visitors adhere to the safety measures we have implemented, so that we can ensure the safest experience possible for everyone.
We are officially “Good To Go”!
We have received our We’re Good To Go Certificate. Acquiring this Industry Standard mark demonstrates that we have followed government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, including having a Risk Assessment in place and a process to maintain cleanliness and aid social distancing.
Our Park, Courtyard Café and Gift Shop are from 10am–4pm, Wednesday to Sunday.
How to book
- Bookings open every Friday afternoon at 4pm for the following week.
- You can book on the same day you wish to visit, if spaces are still available.
- We are limiting the number of visitors per day so that we can safely manage people and ensure physical distancing.
- All visitors, including members and children under 3 years old, will need to pre-book tickets online to ensure that we can safely manage numbers.
- Tickets are free to members and children under 3 years old.
- A percentage of tickets will be available for members only, every day.
- When booking you will need to select one of 3 arrival time slots: 10-10:45am, 11-11:45am, and 12-12:45pm. This is so we can keep queuing to a minimum.
- If you have a Gardener’s World 2 for 1 card, please use the “Pre-paid Admissions Voucher” for the free ticket.
- When booking online you will be required to create an account, in order to proceed beyond the checkout, if you have not purchased tickets online with us before.
- If you are not able to print your tickets it is possible for you to show us the confirmation email, on your mobile phone, at the admissions desk. If you do not have a mobile phone, please bring your booking reference with you.
- Annual Members – whilst we are operating with restricted visitor numbers if, for any reason, you cannot make your visit please let us know in advance so that we have capacity to allow other members to attend instead.
Visitors are only permitted to enter Pensthorpe at the arrival time slot they have booked however the arrival time does not affect the length of time you can stay for your visit.
Annual Members – please bring your membership card with you.
- Toilets are available; however, please note that some will be closed because of their location. All open toilets have been made unisex, for use by a single person or a single household group at one time. We advise you lock the main door as you enter the toilets so that you are the only person/family group in there at one time.
- Baby changing facilities are available in the toilets that we have open.
- Our Courtyard Café is offering takeaway options, with outside seating available only. There are currently no other catering outlets open on site.
- We have added in additional picnic benches and general seating around the site. Some have been moved to adhere to social distancing measures so please do not move them during your visit.
- We have three wheelchairs available to hire for free from our admissions desk, on a first come first served basis. These are cleaned after every use.
- Our bird hides are open with signage reminding visitors to socially distance, and we ask that you help us maintain these standards and respect other visitors using the hides too.
- We would prefer contactless payments, wherever possible.
- Face coverings are not mandatory however if you feel more comfortable wearing a face mask then please feel free to do so for your own peace of mind.
- Protective screening has been installed at contact points, including the admissions desks and café tills.
- There will be floor markings to demarcate 2m distances so we can manage queues.
- We’ve added additional signage to remind staff and visitors of physical distancing and handwashing guidelines.
- Additional hand sanitiser points have been implemented around the park.
- Regular cleaning will be carried out across the entire park, including a deep clean when we are closed on Mondays.
- We respectfully ask that people take responsibility for their own health and the health of the community before visiting Pensthorpe. Please do not visit if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have any underlying health conditions that may put you at risk. If you are vulnerable in any way, it is your responsibility to make the right choice for yourself and others around you. Please follow the advice given at https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Navigating the park
- There is a one way system through the admissions area, for visitors to enter and leave the park.
- We have implemented some one way routes around the park where pathways are narrow.
- Our gift shop will have a one way system so you can browse and enjoying shopping with peace of mind.
- Our daily bird feed talk and other warden talks will not take place in order to prevent overcrowding.
- Pensthorpe Explorer tour will not be running.
- Any hands-on activities such as our stamp trail and pond dipping will not be running, however we do have a nature treasure hunt and a NEW “Hootz & Friends Big Summer Trail” for children and young families.
- We are not selling bird feed for now, but please be rest assured that our birds are well fed by the wardens, so please don’t bring bread or any of your own food for them.
- Our outdoor play area, WildRootz, will reopen on Wednesday 8th July.
- Our indoor play area, Hootz House, remains closed.
As we are all aware, the guidelines are changing on a regular basis. We do our best to keep the information as up to date as possible on our website but that is not always possible. There may be occasions where on the day of your visit we have had to close something or we have been able to open something up that was previously restricted. We hope you understand and that this doesn’t spoil your experience with us.
Our Green Traveller discount and £1 off online booking have been temporarily suspended whilst we are operating with restricted visitors and online booking only.
The support from our annual members plays a pivotal role in the conservation work and habitat restoration and management we carry out here at Pensthorpe. We will be pleased to extend your annual membership by the time we have been closed. For members whose membership is valid, this will be three months extension. If your membership expired whilst we have been closed, we will extend your membership by the equivalent number of days we have been closed, up until the point of its expiry. We will of course honour any early renewal discounts which would have been awarded had we not been closed. However, if you wish to show your support by waiver of the extension then we will be very grateful for this. You will be asked if you wish to accept or waive the extension when you next visit however, please be assured, there is no obligation either way.
All membership cards will be checked on arrival at Pensthorpe. If you are unsure of your current membership status or wish to renew, please contact a member of staff in advance of your visit by emailing email@example.com or calling 01328 851465. We kindly ask that members who wish to renew their membership do this prior to their visit in order to avoid delays in the queue.